Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 2002 23:07:29 -0500
From:      roddierod <roddierod@yahoo.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with setup up printer

On Saturday 06 April 2002 22:55, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 8:49 PM -0500 4/6/02, roddierod wrote:
> >As far a I can tell I have setup everything correctly according
> >to the  handbook, but printing is not working for me.
> >
> >lpr gives me the error.
> >		lpr: lp: unknown printer
> >
> >here is my /etc/printcap:
>
> Hmm.  Is that the entire printcap file?

yes this is the entire file minus the header comments I made.

> What happens if you try to reference the print queue by any
> of the other names you've defined?

any alias I use returns the same unknown printer error.

>What does an 'lpc status all'
> tell you?

lpc status all returns nothing at all. lpc status 'printer name' give me the
unknown printer error.

> Do you have more than one version of lpr installed?  what do you
> see from the command 'which lpr' or 'type -a lpr'?
AFAIK, I one have one lpr installed which gives me /usr/bin/lpr.

The only thing I did notice is that KDE inserted stuff into the printcap and
added the comment do not edit by hand. I did, that's how I got the current
file, so am clueless other than the fact that this file does not seem to be
getting read.

Rod