Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 21:12:35 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Please test the www/ repository changes

Hi folks,

I have (or will shortly, depending on when this e-mail leaves my machine)
committed changes to the www/ tree to support the new doc/ repository
structure.

I have not yet re-enabled web site rebuilding back on Freefall yet,
because I'd like these changes to be tested hard first.  I think I've
caught every bug and dangling link, but I could be wrong.

So, I'd be very grateful if you people could test out the www/ tree.

To recap on Wolfram's instructions to do this;

  1.  Checkout the doc/ and www/ repositories next to each other.

          % cvs checkout www doc

  2.  Make the necessary symbolic links

          % cd www
          % make links

  3.  Build and install the web site

          % cd en
          % make -DNOPORTSCVS DESTDIR=/tmp/w all install

      set DESTDIR appropriately.

      You can omit "-DNOPORTSCVS" if you have a copy of the ports/ tree
      in CVS, and your $CVSROOT is set correctly.

      If you only want to test the generation of the English docs you can
      add "-DENGLISH_ONLY" to the command line.

Alternatively, I should have put up a complete mirror (minus working CGI
scripts) at

    http://freefall.freebsd.org/~nik/web-docbook/

shortly after you receive this message.  At the time of writing, the only
FAQ that hasn't been DocBook'd is the Russian one -- but we're almost
there :-)

The overall functionality of the DocBook'd documents should be identical,
it's just the look and feel that's changed.

There's one thing missing right now -- currently the top of the FAQ includes
links to PS and PDF versions of the FAQ.  These aren't going to work
properly quite yet.

On Saturday I'll start an automatic process on freefall that will populate
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/docs/ with PS, PDF, text, HTML, and RTF
versions of the all the DocBook documentation (Handbook, FAQ, Primer,
and the tutorials/articles).  When I've done that the URLs at the top of
the FAQ can change to point to the freshly generated documentation.  For
the sake of 24 hours or so worth of broken links I don't think it's worth
the commit to remove text, and then add it again later.

If any committer disagrees sufficiently strongly with me about this, they
should feel free to remove the offending sentence from the FAQ.

Oh -- two of the tutorials haven't been converted to DocBook yet.  I'll
do that tomorrow.  It's not a big task, but I've got to call a halt
somewhere and commit some of this stuff :-)  And speaking of the tutorials,
they should be marked up as articles, but they're marked up as books (this
is legacy).  Again, this is on my list of things to do, and will be
tackled tomorrow.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>