Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2012 16:40:40 +0200
From:      icemac <icemaca@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need info builing ports properly

On 03/28/12 16:22, Mark Felder wrote:
> My first suggestion is to begin using portmaster which can be found
> here: /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster
>
> My second suggestion is to please never ever ever mess with CFLAGS on
> FreeBSD. You can get away with it on some Linux distros, but FreeBSD
> strongly discourages it.
>
> My third suggestion is to keep at it and keep asking questions because
> we'd be glad to help :)

Thanks for your quick reply, but can you clarify what you mean about not
messing with the CFLAGS?
I mean I had only ever used that one setting taken from the example in
/usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf, and the only experimentation i did is
either with it in make.conf, or nothing at all.

Do mean its proper not to have it at all in /etc/make.conf or about
changing it's values?
At the moment my /etc/make.conf just has 1 line with the Perl version
entry, should i always leave cflags out?

thanks,