Date:      Fri, 22 Apr 2011 13:28:26 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Groupware Server

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 03:44, TJ Varghese <tj@tjvarghese.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 3:59 AM, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com>=
wrote:

>> Now, I have to revisit this subject after a year.
>>
>> Anyone knows of a concoction of software that can make me achieve the
>> following with FreeBSD:
>>
>> Email Server
>> =95 http, pop, smtp, and imap email access.
>> =95 Global Address List facility
>> =95 Personal Address List facility
>> =95 Distribution/Mailing list capabilities
>> =95 Personal and Group Scheduling through a calendar facility
>> =95 Anti-Spam and Anti-virus
>> =95 Stores Mail accounts and data in MySQL
>>
>> ... especially the 2nd and 3rd portions.
>>
>> What is the best groupware, based on MySQL, that runs on FreeBSD in this
>> time and age? :)
>

> I've found Groupoffice Community edition reasonable competent with a rath=
er
> good looking UI. You'll need an  SMTP & IMAP server set up separately.
>

> /usr/ports/ww/groupoffice
>
> Ports have a rather old version of GO, but you could install it just to g=
et
> the most of the dependencies taken care of, then just download the latest
> version from http://sourceforge.net/projects/group-office/ and install
> whatever dependencies are missing.
>
> That said, FreeBSD isn't officially supported, so some things do take som=
> tweaking. I recall also that it prefers Postfix...I was using sendmail an=
> the vacation autoresponder was disabled.

UPDATE:

Installation from source was such a breeze. I only encountered a small erro=
when the SQL tables were being populated, because I am running MySQL 5.5.8
which required ENGINE=3DMyISAM instead of TYPE=3DMyISAM.
Now I just need to see if I get the features I need.

--=20
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
Nairobi,KE