Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2012 09:05:53 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation for Hyervisor to host FreeBSD

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 06:43:06 -0500, Pete French
<petefrench@ingresso.co.uk> wrote:

> So, my work surprise for a Thursday morning is an urgent requirement to
> see if we can run a set of FreeBSD machines under virtualised servers.
> I have not done this before personally, but I notice from post here
> that it doesnt seem uncommon, and I see Xen related commits flowing
> past, so I am guessing it is doable.
>
> So, for running 8 or 9 STABLE can anyone recommend which hypervisor
> works best, and is 8 or 9 better as the OS to run ? Am doing a bit
> of research myself, but nothing beats persoanl experience in these
> matters!

I can't recommend ESX at all. We are struggling to keep our FreeBSD
servers from crashing. I can make them crash on demand just by stressing
I/O and network at the same time. I have a PR regarding the issue, but no
known fix yet.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=168416&cat=