Date:      Thu, 21 Jul 2016 01:20:57 -0600
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
Cc:        Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD user home directory

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 12:59 AM, Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net> wrote:
> On 2016-Jul-20, at 8:03 PM, Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 07:54:27PM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:
>>> Looking at my armv6 and amd64 11.0's (long in use, originally
>>> -CURRENT, now -STABLE, maintained via source updates):
>>>
>>> amd64 and armv6 (rpi2) both have real /usr/home directories.
>>>
>>> armv6 (and rpi2) has no /home path established at all, not even
>>> as a symbolic link to elsewhere.
>>>
>>> amd64 has /home -> usr/home via a symbolic link.

I think Mark is indicating what first caught my eye: the user is
created in a real /home directory. The new symbolic link will create a
/usr/home reference, but my experience historically (and unfortunately
anecdotally at this time) has been the real directory is /usr/home. I
can see that what Glen did is consistent with the pw(8) command he
quoted earlier so his solution is possibly "more correct"? The real
question though is does it make any difference (I'm not an expert on
linking)? And if it does, should all planned tier 1 platforms (i.e.
x86,amd64 and aarch64) be checked/corrected for consistency?

Russ