Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 14:55:34 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Using bash as default shell for root

On 7 Jan 2002, at 2:12, Matthew Whelan boldly uttered:

> >Hm, you're right.. I do recall this discussion coming up on a few
> >occasions (it's also discussed either in the FreeBSD manual or Greg
> >Lehey's book) and the default for bash wasn't static.. and I don't
> >see that on the bash1 port, so hm.. dunno, maybe I'm just not up to
> >date on this.  You did manually copy it to /bin, right?  Every time
> >I've installed the bash package or port it goes in /usr/local/bin.
>
> Err, yes, I'd forgotten I'd done that, but pkg_info -L says I must have done
> :)
>
> >Interestingly, a box where the bash binary package was installed
> >during initial install of 4.2-RELEASE does not list bash in
> >/etc/shells.  My latest 4.5-PRE box does list it there.
>
> The packing list now contains an instruction to add the relevant line to
> /etc/shells. I have a vague memory of hacking this to point at /bin.

Which brings me to: can anyone provide any insight as to what
possible problems one might encounter if one were to do just this:
statically compile bash, put it in /bin, make it root's default
shell, and use it during single-user mode?

I'd like to standardize on bash to keep things consistent among my
freebsd logins. (and between freebsd and linux)  But not if it will
cause problems in freebsd.

Phil

(normally I'd start this thread in QUESTIONS, but since it already
started here I thought I'd continue in the same list)

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium