Date:      12 Aug 1999 01:11:40 -0700
From:      Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk deficiency?

 * From: Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>

 * If the distfile contains no tarball, the porter can define NO_TAR to mean the
 * file to which the uncompressed distfile should be redirected.
 * EXTRACT_AFTER_ARGS in particular would be redefined as: "> ${NO_TAR}".
 *
 * For example, if my port's distfile goes by the name abc-1.24.bz2, I would set
 *
 * NO_TAR=         abc-1.24
 *
 * The result: bsd.port.mk redefines EXTRACT_AFTER_ARGS as above, makes the
 * ${WRKSRC} to equal ${WRKDIR}/${DISTNAME} (i.e., makes that dir in addition to
 * the ${WRKDIR}.), and extracts the file to ${WRKSRC}/${NO_TAR}.

I think this is overkill.  Just define DISTFILES and USE_BZIP as usual
and set EXTRACT_AFTER_ARGS to "> [whatever]" by yourself.

bsd.port.mk is getting complicated enough at it is. ;)

-PW