Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 1997 23:42:18 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Heller  <mheller@student.uni-kl.de>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving CD audio data around with HP 4020i

On Wed, 24 Dec 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 23, 1997 at 08:05:53PM -0600, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:
> >
> >> Heh, I'll bet you $10 right now that I can send you an Audio CD
> >> (transcribed from DAT) which you will *not* be able to duplicate
> >> with your Solaris box. :-)
> >
> > Wait, I've got a buddy that's been trying to figure out how to read
> > an audio DAT tape and write it to a CD audio track.  Is there a
> > known solution???
>
> With enough effort, there's always a solution.
Getting Audio data from a DAT is not trivial.
To do this you need a special ROM on your
DAT drive, SGI DATs are the only ones to have such a beast AFAIK.
There is no known way around this problem - ever put a audio DAT
tape into a DAT streamer ? my DAT doesnt like them and throws them
out.

> > I know he'd be *very* interested if there was, as he's been trying
> > to figure it out for a few months (on and off).
>
> There's a lot more involved than just copying.  IIRC, CDs record at
> 41.4 ksamples/second, and DATs record at 44 or 48 ksamples/second, so
> you'd effectively have to remaster.  I suppose straight interpolation
> would work, but it's still a lot of processing.
I do not think that its so esay, but there are  programs for professionals
who can do this.
MARTIN