Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 21:37:36 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Mark Filipak" <filipak@earthlink.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mark asks: How should I partition/slice for appliance?

From: "Mark Filipak" <filipak@earthlink.net>
To: "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2002 9:03 PM

> Howdy All!

Hello...

> I'm about to istall 4.5 on another box. While I use the other box, email
is not accessable (until I'm successful that is).

> I've looked at the "FreeBSD Handbook" and it doesn't have help for
building an appliance. Here's the particulars:

If you mean 'assembling a 'puter, I guess you're right.
Read up!

> gateway + firewall + mail-server + www-server + ftp-server + LAN file
server.

Gateway and Firewall are discussed in the handbook.
So is sendmail, to some extent.  It will be in 4.5-REL,
you will just have to edit /etc/inetd.conf to enable it
(hint:  remove the # that comments out the command)

FTP Daemon is already ready to go.  Once again, enable
in inetd.conf.  Don't set up as anonymous unless you
REALLY have to AND, and I say AND your have
READ THOROUGHLY about this.  Somebody out
there (CERT, I think) has written about the seperate
inbound-outbound directory/permissions setup that should
be used for anon. FTP.

> 2 ethernet cards
> #1 - connects to my wintel box. PPPoE?
I don't think so...
> #2 - connects to this building's gateway. PPPoE for this too?
Ask your "building gateway admin".  Ethernet doesn't
require PPP, generally.   Some cable modem companies
use it, I *think*.  (Not the one I deal with....)

> Memory: 24 MB
> Disk: 840 MB

Seems small for such a job, but should work.

> Emphasis: This is just to be an appliance. CLI only. LAN interface for
configuration, account management, etc. via cgi.

> What are your recommendations for the sizes of:
>
> /
48 MB min.
> (swap)
48 MB min.  I'd see if I could squeeze more.
> /var
Depends on how much FTP will need and how
email will be used.  The FTP dirs and the message
queue are usually under /var in v4 FBSD..

> /tmp
I don't create one specifically.

> /usr -- I know... the rest of the disk, right?
Yep.  Especially for content rich web servers.

> What are your recommendations for these:
>
> gateway
> firewall
> mail server (sendmail? or something else?)
Start with sendmail.  It's there.
Yep.  www.apache.org   or use ports
> ftp server
Base system for now.

> LAN file server (samba?)
S'pose.  Haven't tackled samba yet.

> Note: Sendmail, apache, and samba are just words to me until I gain some
> experience. Don't assume that because I know the words, I know what I'm
> talking about.

Same here.   Used sendmail for a while, and
run apache.  Mostly I let them run themselves
and act paranoid about log reading and
security in general.

> This appliance will mainly act as a firewall, and www host (fixed ip), and
as a backup for my wintel box (and
vice versa).

> I'm a raw newbie (but pretty nubile 8^).
>
> I will be standing by for 20 minutes and then... it's off to UNIX-land to
> do an install based on my best guess and any help I get beforehand. Thanks
for any help/advice you can give.

You're welcom.

> Ciao -- Mark
> --