Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 95 9:16:14 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        uphya001@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de (Lars Koeller)
Cc:        INT16@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de, i@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de, j:@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de, freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Danamically attach an SCSI device?

>       Is it   possible to attach/deattach   a SCSI device (e.g.  a tape/dat
>    drive) dynamically, i.e. without rebooting, to FreeBSD? If yes, how?

Change the code to:

1)	Load all the pieces you need to do the job into core.

2)	Wait until all outstanding SCSI activity is complete, blocking
	additional activity.

3)	Reset the bus (and controller, if Adaptec) to reprobe the devices.

4)	Resume SCSI acivity.

There hasn't been a user space "reprobe" command written yet to take
advantage of the code (that also hasn't been written yet) that does
this for you.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---