Date:      04 Mar 2003 22:07:48 +0800
From:      Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Temporary lockups on 5-release

--=-LRDZfzOG0DuLS4Y4zQ73

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 15:48, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> It can be due to Giant contention..was the system under heavy load at
> the time?

=46rom what I'm observing, the jarring lockups (more than a second) can
also occur during a one time memory and cpu intensive operation.=20

Examples being, cut and pasting portions of a 20MB image with gimp,
changing desktop background (1280x1024x32) etc. These are not swap
related (384MB and almost 0 swap usage). It can also be repeated when
using large apps like mozilla or nautilus.

This is one example, though it can also happen during intensive disk
operations (this may be due more to IDE), so I'll look into this aspect
later to see if there is a correlation when these lockups appear with
disk operations while removing the IDE bottleneck aspect.

These lockups are worrying for me because, they lead to system reboots.
And they are my personal benchmark for stability (ie can FreeBSD recover
or not when it happens).

FreeBSD 5 RC-1 -> system reboots
FreeBSD 5 RC-2 -> ok
FREEBSD 5 RC-3 and RELEASE -> ok
FREEBSD CURRENT (as of last weekend) -> system reboot.

I'm back to RELEASE, because the constant reboots can cause data
corruption which is not good for my one and only home system.

--=20
Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>

--=-LRDZfzOG0DuLS4Y4zQ73

--=-LRDZfzOG0DuLS4Y4zQ73--