Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 13:45:40 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        A JOSEPH KOSHY <koshy@india.hp.com>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HDD cpu usage (IDE vs. SCSI).

On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, A JOSEPH KOSHY wrote:

> jk> The issue really is how much performance you are getting for your rupee.
> jk> The last time I checked here, a 1-disk SCSI sub-system cost around twice as
> jk> much as an equivalent IDE 1-disk sub-system.
>
> ms> This doesn't hold for larger disk capacities.  How much would you pay for a
> ms> 7200rpm 4GB IDE disk?
>
> Yes, you have a point there :-).
>
> You know, it would be nice if we had a "Buying Hardware for FreeBSD" section
> in the handbook in which many of the points that keep coming up can be
> written out for new folks.
>
> EG:-	Experiences with motherboards, graphics chipsets, cards controllers,
> 	disks.  Beware the:
> 		frumious RZ1000.
> 		cyrix write back caching,
> 		no caching > 64MB in some mother boards

	And other starange ways the MB makers have been going (and perhaps
	still go) about cahcing in 486/Pentium MBs.

> 		motherboards w/o cache consistency support
> 		the vlb master slot problem
> 		Mach64 / sio3 port clashes

	S3Trio64V+ seems to be capable of clashing with sio4 (had problems
	with an internal modem).

> 	et al.

There used to be a thing called the hardware list. I know it is boring to
rise up this again, but perhaps it is just something that should exist. I
know that the total number of motherboard configurations is the number of
different motherboard brands (incl. revisions) times the number of
graphics cards times the number of disk controllers times the number of
disk brands times the number of disk brands time the number of pocessors
(yes, Cyrix, Intel, IBM, TI and others have succeeded in making a real lot
of different 486 chips and I feel that the number of 586 chips may be
round the same in some years) times the number of serial boards/whatever.
Still I think it would help if we had the list of working/non-working
configurations.

I know I have proposed it at least once (and saw no answers). But if
there are people who will send me their configurations, I will collect
them together into a single file (or bunch of files sorted upon different
criteria). It may also in the long run keep down some of the bandwidth of
the mailing lists if the files were mentioned in the READMEs.

So mail-bomb me with uyour configurations... :)

> 	Advice to people setting up news servers, gateways, or personal play
> 	machines.  Discussions of tradeoffs; limits run into:
> 		Eg: the MEMSIZE option to the kernel
> 		what kind of configurations are good for 10/100/1000 users
> 		when SCSI is cost effective and when IDE is good enough
> 	Tuning the OS maybe;
> 		setting up partitions for netnews (inodes mix)
> 		better NFS performance thru any magic
>
> Is anyone doing this kind of compilation already?
>
> Koshy

	Sander.

Eat good food, preserve nature, be nice to all nice people :)