Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:59:19 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
To:        miha@ghuug.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ad0: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA

Mikhail P. wrote:
> On Saturday 09 October 2004 18:26, S=F8ren Schmidt wrote:
>=20
>>Hmm, that means that the drive couldn't find the sector you asked for.
>>Now, what has me wondering is that it is the exact sector where we
>>switch to 48bit adressing mode. Anyhow, I've just checked on the old
>>Maxtor preproduktion 48bit reference drive I have here and it crosses
>>the limit with no problems.
>>What controller are you using ? not all supports 48bit mode correctly..=

>=20
>=20
> There's VIA's motherboard (not sure about the model name).
>=20
> Here's info regarding ata controller from dmesg:
> atapci0: <VIA 8235 UDMA133 controller> port 0xac00-0xac0f at device 17.=
1 on=20
> pci0
>=20
> I will be able to test the drives (the ones which I thought of as "fail=
ed") on=20
> another board within 10 days or so.

There is definitly something fishy here, since I dont have either the=20
disks nor any VIA chips here in the lab I cannot do any testing here.
However I dont know of any problems with the VIA chips in this regard,=20
so that leaves the disks for scrutiny. One thing to try is change the=20
tripping point where we switch from 28bit mode to 48 bit mode, could be=20
a 1 off error in the firmware...

-S=F8ren