Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2012 19:55:13 +0200
From:      Hans Ottevanger <hans@beastielabs.net>
To:        John Long <codeblue@inbox.lv>
Cc:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Porting FreeBSD to Loongson 3A (RS780e)

On 07/12/12 18:57, John Long wrote:
>> I mean one-off for 3A, because
>>
>> No.1, loongson 3 is for server application, and is fit for "the Power to
>> Serve"
>
> Well given none of the Loongson chips are server chips and none of the
> current builds (AFAIK) support ECC RAM, and since Lemote is selling a laptop
> with the 3A (not a server) I don't think the 3A is a server chip. And I
> really don't care, because the Loongson works fine for a home server, even
> the lowly 2F.
>
>> No.2, loongson 3a is mips64r2 compatible just like XLP832 and Octeon 6330
>>   which are already supported in FreeBSD/MIPS, and the chipset rs780e
>> for 3a is a common
>
> Ok, but OpenBSD and Debian already Loongson 2F so how hard can it be, given
> the code already exists and in the case of OpenBSD comes with a good
> license... and Loongson 2F is MIPS III compatible and runs 64 or 32 bit mode
> executables. What does the "mips64r2" give you beyond MIPS III?
>
>> hardware, we can easily porting freebsd to 3a.
>> No.3, loongson 3a is the first cpu in Loongson 3, 3b is pin-to-pin
>> compatible to 3a, if we got 3a brought up
>> 3b is easy,
>
> Support is already available in OpenBSD for 2E and 2F. Personally I am happy
> with OpenBSD but I would also be happy to see as many OS as possible
> supporting Loongson because I think MIPS is a good architecture and there
> haven't been many general purpose machines made since SGI got out of the
> workstation business. And Lemote is a good company...

Hi,

I still have a Lemote Yeeloong netbook somewhere. It came with Linux. It
is a nice though quite simple system, based on a Loongson 2F CPU. The
main problem was the regular occurrence of system freezes due to a CPU
design problem. If I remember well the OpenBSD guys also stumbled over
this issue and I am not sure whether they ever completely solved it.

It is also worth noting that a port of FreeBSD to this netbook was
started as a GSoC 2010 project:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/SOC2010VladimirSerbinenko

though I do not know whether it was ever finished and if the code is
available anywhere and how stale it is with respect to current
developments. I do remember that there were quite a few issues with the
caching and the choice of the page size etc. See this thread:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mips/2010-August/001096.html

and the discussions about Yeeloong here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mips/2010-September/thread.html

Kind regards,

Hans Ottevanger