Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:41:50 +0100
From:      Thomas Zander <thomas.e.zander@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS inresponsive.

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 10:42, Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de> wrote:

> Oct 18 18:33:05 r500 kernel: GEOM_ELI: Crypto WRITE request failed (error=5). label/poppstar.eli[WRITE(offset=362645020672, length=131072)]

Same here, same setup. ZFS, GELI, USB.
Occasionally this happens, haven't found a way to reliably trigger it yet.

However, what seems to (more or less) reliably work is to trigger a
failed crypto READ request when copying files from a ZFS-GELI-USB pool
to a FAT formatted USB stick. If that happens, I have to reboot as the
ZFS-GELI-USB pool is no longer functioning properly.
This is on a recent 8-STABLE amd64 box, but it has always been that
way since I am using zpools on USB disks on FreeBSD.

Riggs