Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:43:02 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer2@gwdg.de>
To:        Danny Browne <danny_browne@eircom.net>
Cc:        BSD User Group Ireland <bugi@lists.redbrick.dcu.ie>
Subject:   Re: Uninstalling FreeBSD

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Danny Browne wrote:

> Im in a rush to get this done, but i dont really know how.
>
> My laptop dual boots winXP and FreeBSD.
>
> However i now need to install Red Hat for a project im doing in college.
> so i want to get rid of my BSD installation to free up some space. and
> im in a major rush. i dont really have the time to spend on figuring it
> out and the BSD manual hasn't helped.
>
> Can i just wipe my BSD installation by formatting the partiton with
> partition-magic in windows?

I'm no expert in installing Dead Rat Linux :-), but I guess you will be
able to simply delete the FreeBSD slice and to reallocate the disk space
for a linux partition during the installation process.

> what effect does the BSD boot manager have on my xp installation? has it
> deleted my xp boot loader? if how do rectify this?

The FreeBSD boot manager will stay in place as long as you install lilo
into the Linux root partition. You may still use it to choose between
booting XP or Linux. If you don't want it, install lilo into the master
boot record.

You XP boot loader code has neither been hurt by FreeBSD nor will it be
hurt by Linux.

Regards

Konrad Heuer
GWDG, Am Fassberg, 37077 Goettingen, Germany, kheuer2@gwdg.de