Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 1995 14:17:20 +0800 (HKT)
From:      John Beukema <jbeukema@hk.super.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@cs.weber.edu>
Cc:        Boyd Faulkner <faulkner@mpd.tandem.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Consortium

On Mon, 13 Mar 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Does anyone know if the NetBSD people are interested in a consortium?
> > If not, the appeal is lessened... for me at least.
for me as well.

> The initial list of goals I put up shouldn't step on any directional
> toes, specifically to avoid any conflict between FreeBSD, NetBSD, or
> BSDI (or anyone else who would be interested).

yes

> I do, however, think that instead of just me throwing out ideas off
> the top of my head, a bit more participation is required at least
> by members of both core teams and (hopefully) BSDI to get something
> that is agreeably shaped.

yes

> Assuming a representative presence on steering committies for choice
> of supported efforts, this shouldn't result in anyone being frozen
> out.
>

> Perhaps the best place to discuss this would be as a cross-posting in
> the news groups?
>

> The last I heard, Jordan was looking into the legal stuff... any
> status on that?
>
> There was also that kind offer by a rather international lawyer of
> which we might try to avail ourselves.
>

> What is probably needed now is a stake in the ground and a statement
> of common goals that are to be coded into the bylaws in the articles
> of incorporation.

As well as a method of governing the organization which is genuinely
representative, international and not capable of domination by any
group, faction, flavor or commercial interest - perhaps votes based on
(non-monetary) contributions etc.

> I would definitely say that it wants to be a non-profit corp. to >
confer tax exempt status for itself and tax deductible status for >
contributions (at least in the US).

definitely

> Any ideas regarding status in other countries, and whether or not
> articles of incorporation need to be filed there as well?

It should be possible to qualify in more than one jurisdiction but the US
may be the most stringent in its requirements for tax deductible status.

> What did the X consortium do?

I would be interested to know as well.

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@cs.weber.edu