Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 08:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i386/7201: (cpu == CPU_686) in pmap.c shoud also apply to CPU_PII, pmap_setdevram() disabled in wrong place

The following reply was made to PR i386/7201; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To: smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 11:25:28 -0400 (EDT)

 Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav writes:
  > gallatin@cs.duke.edu writes:
  > > o Many Pentium Pro class features in pmap.c are enabled if cpu == CPU_686.
  > > With the recent addition of the CPU_PII, the CPU_PII cpu needs to be
  > > added to those tests.
  >
  > Hmm, I should have checked this when I introduced the code to identify
  > PII processors, so color me guilty. But as Poul-Henning remarked,
  > these tests should check the CPU class and not the CPU model, so your
  > fix is inadequate (or perhaps I should rather say that it is only a
  > short-term fix - until the next 686-class CPU hits the market)
  >
  > I'll try to set aside some time to look into this. Thank you very much
  > for pointing it out to us.
  >
  > DES (bad DES, baaaad DES)
  > --
  > Dag-Erling Smørgrav - smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com

 I'd considered that myself, but I don't know anything about the Cyrix
 6x86MX, which is identified as a CPUCLASS_686 cpu in identcpu.c. I was
 concerned that the P.Pro/PII optimizations in pmap.c might not apply to
 the Cyrix chip... Its a lot cleaner if they do.

 Drew