Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 09:09:52 +0000
From:      Aled Morris <aledm@pavilion.co.uk>
To:        Steve Corso <steve@news.netdtw.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More 2.1 Fixit disk PROBLEM (fwd)

At 21:06 11/02/96 -0500, Steve Corso wrote:
>Ok...Well, I was on the right track.  You do need the /etc/services and
>/etc/protocols files, but AH!!, you need to put links up to them since
>the fixit gets moved to /mnt2.

I would prefer it if the versions of Ping, Telnet etc. on the fixit floppy
were more robust in the absence of these "informational" files.

i.e. if the getservbyname fails, use a hardwired service port.

Is there a good reason why the *standard* versions of Ping, Telnet etc.
don't do this?  Good defaults makes robust software.

Aled
--
telephone +44 973 207987