Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 19:37:05 +0100 (CET)
From:      torstenb@vmunix.org (Torsten Blum)
To:        "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel hangs when accessing sio0 on Compaq Armada m700

Sean O'Connell wrote:

> Hmmmm... yucko.  Does the bios have a setting for either "Plug and Play OS"
> or "Supported OS" or something like that.

Nope, nothing, that's been one of the first things I've been looking for.
I found something called "Multiboot", but it doesnt matter if it's enabled
or disabled (which is default) - no changes for pnpscan and sio trying to
attach the pnp COM port.

> It looks like the ISA bus isn't being properly handled on this machine.

lpt0 is detected and it seems to work. Well, at least the external floppy
drive, which is attached to the parallel port, works. So it doesnt seem to
affect every device attached to the ISA bus.

> You might also want to see if there is a windows config utitity for these
> boxes (IBM has one for some Thinkpads that diddles with NVRAM settings that
> let config the irq and port for the serial devices and enable/disable them).

I tried to find one on compaq's webserver - without success.

> Do you have the latest BIOS (rompaq) for this machine?

Yes, 686H dating back to August 3rd 2000.

> What happens if you take out the smbus stuff?

Nothing changes. Already build GENERIC and booted that. Also booted a old
3.3R live-filesystem CD I had, same problem.

> : PNP0501
>
> grep PNP0501 /sys/isa/sio.c
>         {0x0105d041, "16550A-compatible COM port"},     /* PNP0501 */

Oh, I overlooked that.

> PNP0501: adding io range 0-0xffffffff, size=0, align=0
> PNP0501: adding irq mask 0000
> PNP0501: end config
> pnpbios: handle 13 device ID PNP0501 (0105d041)
>
> But then further down, you get
>
> unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0501> at port 0x10 on isa0

I knew ISA PnP is evil for some time. That's the first time I've been hit
by it. Hm, I can't any way to provide port/irq settings so the kernel can set
it on it's own. I did that before (hm, in the 2.2.x days I believe) with
a Soundblaster AWE64 in my old Desktop machine. But neither userconfig nor
the "new" bootblocks seems to be able to support that anymore. Or did I just
miss something ?

> That chip is the LT Winmodem by AT&T Microelectronics.  See
> http://www.yourvote.com/pci/pciread.asp?venid=0x11c1

Oh, cool resource. Thanks for the pointer.

 -tb