Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 00:28:04 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <G.Sittig@abo.freiepresse.de>
To:        Gerard Giamberdine <gerard@dimensional.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ordinary user mounting floppy question/problem

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Gerard Giamberdine wrote:
> Can a ordinary user on a FBSD 2.2.2 system mount a 1.44M floppy drive.
> (I read somewhere that it's not allowed?). If it can be done, I'm sure
> running out of idea why as root I can, but not as anybody else. All
> attempts return:
>
>   mount_msdos /dev/fd0.1440 /mnt              (or mount -t msdos ...)

Mounting filesystems SHOULD be allowed to root only.  Since anyone
who can mount a media does bring a filesystem with him, he has the
ability to bring special files and files with special ownerships
and permissions with him.  That's something I wouldn't want allow
to any user.

And IMHO there's no need to mount floppies.  Making the floppy
devices world readable and writable allows for tarring from / to
them.  Reading / writing DOS diskettes can be done using the
mtools.

And in case you DO need mounting you might want to have some
customized commands executed via sudo or the like (is there
something like that in FBSD ?).  Allowing mounting to anyone
will open the holes mentioned above.  Making available DOS
mounts only will just give more files to add (with no
ownerships and specials and the like).  But I'd prefer saying

mread a:/file .
do something
mwrite file a:

or even