Date:      Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:17:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      stheg olloydson <stheg_olloydson@yahoo.com>
To:        gpeel@thenetnow.com
Cc:        infofarmer@gmail.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remote Console

>Hi all,
>
>RS-232 Serial Port hubs seem to be a little hard to come by,
and >the ones I have found are quite expensive.

>COuld we could achieve the same using USB terminals and a 16
>port USB hub?
>
>-Grant
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew P."
><infofarmer@gmail.com>

always give me
>> access to any of the servers by SSHing to one server, then
CUing to get to
>> the console of the 'broken' one, regardless of its state
(assuming the disks
>> are OK, and boot stage 1 worked):
>>
>> (WAN Shown, LAN Same, using seperate nics on Servers and
Switch)

>>                                   ISP's router
>>                                     My Switch

>> |                  |                    |                   |

>> Serv1            Serv2                Serv3
Serv4

Serial1------------>Serial2

>> Serial1---------->Serial2
>>
>> Can more than 1 console access type be specified in
loader.conf ?
>>     i.e.
>>         console='serialconsole'
>>         console='videoconsole'
>>
>> When using 'serial console, does anything have to be
specified to use serial
>> 2?
>>
>> What is the default local console, how is it specified?
>>     i.e. the one you use when you plug a keyboard and monitor
directly into
>> the machine?
>>
>> Would I need to install any other software other than the
client (CU)?

>> -GRant
>>

>I haven't configured comconsoles myself, I just happen
>to work at a place where they are used heavily (Sun
>ALOM mostly, but built-in LOMs and FreeBSD software
>comsonsoles also). Please consult the Handbook and
>google, I'm sure there's nothing difficult to it.
>
>I would not support your chaining idea, though. It's
>the only one that requires $0.00 budget, but COM
>hubs are cheap today. If you rent rackspace, I'm
>sure your colocation provider can offer you some
>kind of non-expensive remote management. If
>rackspace is free, consider buying some hardware
>(like a COM hub).
>
>The matter is, that you'll want 9600 bps speeds
>for max compatibility. While it is usable for
>occasional failure recovery, chaining it would
>make it lag too much.

Hello,

If you're in the US, you can get a 30 port serial hub for
<$100.00 USD on eBay.com. Just search on "portmaster" and look
for a model 2e. (Don't get a model 3 or 4; those are different
things entirely.) I have been using them for more than 10 years
to do exactly what you are trying to do. You can telnet into
them or, if your rack has a phone line, you can connect a modem
and dial in. Once connected, you simply attach to the
appropriate port and you have a console. (Of course, you still
have to set up your systems to have a com console, etc.)

stheg

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/