Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 15:41:40 -0600
From:      Hal Snyder <hal@vailsys.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM Token ring driver

Stefan Molnar wrote:

> have you tried olicom?  I heard that they are more forgiving
> with opening up eith driver info.  I would like to do it, but
> I am not a programer, I am a silly person.

I talked to Olicom a year ago about writing a FreeBSD token driver for
their PCI token ring card, since my employer at the time was stuck with
a lot of legacy dinosaur equipment.

The response I got was that driver writers' documentation was trade
secret and they had absolutely no intention of telling anyone how their
superlative token ring card works.

After that, all nodes added to the LAN were ether.  We had that luxury,
since cabling was CAT-5 and the main router had both types of
interface.  :)

Hal