Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 12:49:29 -0500
From:      Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
To:        "Patrick W. Bryant" <daspwb@Queequeg.Gsu.EDU>
Subject:   Re: Follow up (Dell 410)

Patrick W. Bryant wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>
> > Brilliant idea and ditto!
>
> I thought so too.  Thanks to George Vichere for suggesting it.
>
> > I'll then recut an SMP kernel and (shudder) try to embed aic7xxx inside
> > instead of loading as a module.
>
> That's what I've got now (SMP and aic7xxx embedded) and it's working
> really well -- fast boot, no probs with fdisk or mkfs, all the blocks
> visible, etc.  I'm a very happy person right now.

The BIOS issue is something I hadn't tried here.  The 2940U2W card I have is
running with the BIOS disabled, and always has because my boot devices are
on a 7895 on my DK440LX motherboard.  But, if enabling the BIOS is enough to
make it fail, then obviously it's most likely some small setup issue that
has to be taken care of, I can get it found, and then these things will
work.  Now, second issue.  For now anyway, if you modify the
restart_sequencer() code to do aic_outb(p, FASTMODE | FAILDIS, SEQCTL);
instead of just doing FASTMODE, then the cards will also work with narrow
devices.  So, from what we have here, it looks like people should be able to
get these things working with any devices as long as they:

A) Make the change to the restart_sequencer() function
B) Disable the Adaptec BIOS on the Ultra2 controller.

This makes it hard to boot from these things, but I'll get a pre-6 out in
the next day or two that hopefully will have the driver working with the
BIOS enabled and already have the other change made until I can get the
cause of that tracked down as well.

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford@dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but