Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:31:28 +0200
From:      Ulf Lilleengen <lulf@stud.ntnu.no>
To:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   gvinum drivegroups and concat command

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

Hi,

I'm doing work on gvinum these days, and I've implemented a possibility of
drivegroups. It is possible to add drives to group at creation, but it will=
 also
be possible to add drives to groups afterwards. The advantage with drivegro=
ups
are not very big right now, but I've started to work on the first command t=
hat
will take utilization of drivegroups.

The concat command creates a concatenated volume, and from old vinum, it us=
es
drives as parameter. With drivegroups one can now still specify drives, or
groups or you don't even have to specify anything but the size, as gvinum t=
hen
will use the default drivegroup and create a volume for you there.

This is how i think the concat command should be like:
        - if name not specified, use drivegroup-volnum (maybe somethingelse)
        - size must be specified, or maybe a "fill drives/group" argument?
        - if group specified, it tries to create subdisks on all drives in =
the
          drivegroup.
        - if drivegroup not specified, and neither drives; use
          defaultdrivegroup.
        - if drives specified, use them. overrides drivegroups.

The general usage will be:
concat [-f] [-n name] [-v] [-g group] [drives]

Further advantages with drivegroups can be the mirror and stripe commands, =
as
well as the possibility to move drivegroups between different machines and =
group
your drives into logical collections. There will be more on this later.

If anyone have any suggestions, I would like to hear it, as I'm starting on
implementing these commands now and think it's very important that it's bei=
ng
done right. If I have overlooked anything, feel free to comment. Other
improvements in gvinum is mentioned in the lastest status report.

--=20
Mvh Ulf Lilleengen

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v--