Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:57:14 +0200
From:      Vasil Dimov <vd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, ports-developers@freebsd.org, python@freebsd.org, developers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: messages to port-developers (Re: The way to fix ports/104560)

--azLHFNyN32YCQGCU

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 02:57:26 -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> Taking this message as chance to make a comment that i
> wanted to make for a long time:
>=20
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 12:47:38PM +0200, Vasil Dimov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > Please take a look at ports/104560 (and also ports/105853 and
> > ports/106120) and come to a consensus what is the right way to fix this
> > issue.
>=20
> it happens all the time (not only here i am afraid) that
> messages related to bug reports are extremely cryptic as the
> ones above.
>=20
> May i suggest that either in the subject line or at least
> in the body one puts a human-readable description
>=20
> 	(e.g. "fixes for memory leak on sysutils/memcheck")
>=20
> rather than a machine-language one ("fix ports/104560")
> of what the mail is about ?
>=20
> A full URL in the body of the message would also be great.
>=20
> Especially on a global list such as port-developers,
> it is very useful that one can quickly identify things
> he is interested in, and filter out the rest

Sorry, I also dislike this. I should (at least) have copied several
lines of text from the PRs to the body of the mail so one can get a
grasp about what it is all about without loading URLs
(or worse composing URLs based on something like ports/104560).

So - my initial mail is about the following:

x11-toolkits/py-gtk2 expects bin/python to be present, but lang/python25
does provide only bin/python2.5.

One way to fix it is to fix x11-toolkits/py-gtk2 itself, and the other
way is to alter lang/python25 so that it provides bin/python. There
seems to be disagreement about which way to go between gnome@ and
python@, thus I brought this out of public to ports-developers@.

Thanks for noting my cryptic mail, I will have this in mind in the
future.

--=20
Vasil Dimov
gro.DSBeerF@dv
%
It's always easier to go down hill, but the view is from the top.

--azLHFNyN32YCQGCU

--azLHFNyN32YCQGCU--