Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 14:10:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        handy@sag.space.lockheed.com (Brian N. Handy)
Cc:        kline@thought.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XEmacs-19.15 port is bad

According to Brian N. Handy:
> >	I don't understand the official position on 20.2 either.  It
> >	has the MULE (internationalization) support as the default
> >	and is huge.  It may be that the 19.X version lacks MULE and
> >	20.X has it.
>
> This is true, though I believe there are other differences.  (I lurk on
> the newsgroup.)  It's possible to compile 20.2 without the MULE support,
> which might be a useful consideration.  At the risk of being flamed by the
> Xemacs folks, I'd suggest we change the port to 20.x and make MULE an
> option in the Makefile.

		Sounds like a good move to me, because not
		everyone will want the multilanguage support.
		Having the option seems like the way to join
		19.x and 20.x.

> Not sure how big the package becomes when you do this.

		With MULE it is ballpark 80 to 90MB.  The v20.2
		tarball is 20.5M which takes in excess of two
		hours at 28.8.  On the plus side: you only gotta
		do it once....

		gary

--
  Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix