Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:01:19 +1100
From:      "Tarragon Allen" <melange@n12turbo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   new install partitioning problem

Hi

I've just purchased a 45gb IBM hard drive.  I have decided to try out
FreeBSD 4.2 .

Presently I have a 5gb FAT32 partition at the start of the disk for Win98SE
(so I can dual-boot and play games sometimes).  I have dedicated the
remainder of the drive to FreeBSD.

My problem is this:

I can boot the FreeBSD install floppies, and it gets to the part where you
have to divide up the FreeBSD slice into seperate partitions.  If I tell it
to auto-create, all is fine except that I don't particularly like having a
root partition of 20mb, or a /var partition of 50mb - so I decided to delete
those automatic partitons and create a table thus (38gb free on disk):

5000mb FAT32
1024mb /
512mb (swap)
2048mb /var
512mb /tmp
10480mb /usr
19000mb /home

(the last figure is approximate, the aim was to allocate the remainder of
the disk to /home).

I can create all these partitions fine, except the last one, which always
complains about "Can't create partition, too large?".  I can create the last
partition if I leave about 2 gb at the end of the disk, but this is
unacceptable to me.  Can someone explain why it won't let me use the
entirety of the disk if I partition it manually, yet it is quite happy to
use the whole disk if it does it automatically?

Frustrated,