Date:      Tue, 07 May 2002 22:00:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anthony.Wyatt@csiro.au
Cc:        Freebsd-config@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Pushing the boot process past its limits

On 08-May-2002 Anthony.Wyatt@csiro.au wrote:
> Hi All,
>   For all those that are going to flame me for cross posting this email, I
> know, I'm evil and I will repent later today :-)

freebsd-bugs isn't very appropriate for this.  freebsd-hackers would probably
have been better, esp. since no one reads freebsd-config.

> Quick Background:
>       I decided that I want to build a boot CD that will load my FreeBSD image
> into a ram drive and run from there.  I've so far managed to embed my mfs
> file into my kernel and it all boots fine (for a 3M mfs root partition).
> What I
> would really like to do is have the mfs file on the root of the CD and load
> it from /boot/loader at boot time, I don't seem to be able to see the FS on
> the CD, on the FS on the boot image.  So I started playing around.  I've
> created a 128M
> mfs file and stuffed it into my kernel, so far so good.  I've compressed it
> and it fits on the 2.88M floppy image that I use as the boot image for the
> CD, but weird things happen when I boot (I'm using Vmware with 256M of
> memory, I've tried
> this with 384M config also):

Update to 4.5 and use cdboot to do this instead.  You put cdboot in /boot
on the ISO image, and use

'mkisofs -b boot/cdboot -no-emul-boot' to make the ISO.  cdboot will find
and load /boot/loader off the CD as the loader binary.  This loader will
be able to read files off the CD, so you can then read the kernel and
mfsroot off of the CD directly instead of from a floppy.  The 5.0 install
CD's will use this and 4.6 might as well.