Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 2015 11:00:33 -0600
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Cc:        Julian Hsiao <madoka@nyanisore.net>
Subject:   Re: Bhyve storage improvements (was: Several bhyve quirks)

On Mar 27, 2015, at 10:47 AM, John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net> wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2015, at 3:46 AM, Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
>>> I've always assumed virtio driver > emulated driver so it didn't =
occur
>>> to me to try ahci-hd.
>>=20
>> I've just merged to FreeBSD stable/10 branch set of bhyve changes =
that
>> should significantly improve situation in the storage area.
>>=20
>> virtio-blk driver was fixed to work asynchronously and not block =
virtual
>> CPU, that should fix many problems with performance and =
interactivity.
>> Both virtio-blk and ahci-hd drivers got ability to execute multiple =
(up
>> to 8) requests same time, that should proportionally improve parallel
>> random I/O performance on wide storages.  At this point virtio-blk is
>> indeed faster then ahci-hd on high IOPS, and they both are faster =
then
>> before.
>>=20
>> On the other side ahci-hd driver now got TRIM support to allow =
freeing
>> unused space on backing ZVOL. Unfortunately there is no any =
TRIM/UNMAP
>> support in virtio-blk API to allow the same.
>>=20
>> Also both virtio-blk and ahci-hd drivers now report to guest logical =
and
>> physical block sizes of underlying storage, that allow guests =
properly
>> align partitions and I/Os for best compatibility and performance.
>=20
> Mav, thank you very much for all this great work and for the concise =
summary. TRIM on AHCI makes it compelling for a lot of use cases despite =
the probable performance hit.
>=20
> Does anyone have plans (or know about any) to implement virtio-scsi =
support in bhyve? That API does support TRIM and should retain most or =
all of the low-overhead virtio goodness.

Okay, some belated googling reminded me that this has been listed as an =
"open task" in the last couple of FreeBSD quarterly status reports and =
discussed at one or more devsummits. I'd still be interested to know if =
anyone's actually contemplated or started doing the work though. :)

JN