Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:18:56 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what's the best working gigabit ether card...

> Another thing to keep in mind, if you're going to be connecting more than
> two machines, is that the Alteon switches are the only ones that I've seen
> that currently claim to do jumbo frames.  They cost a bundle, but they're
> more or less the only game in town.  My guess is that will change
> eventually.

Packet Engines is also doing jumbo sized Gigabit ethernet in their
switches.  This was something that was a requirement at work (UUNET)
since the backbone already carries 4470 bytes frames, and we didn't
want to have to fragment going over gigabit ethernet plumbing.

You might also check around for an Internet Draft recently published
on how to encapsulate jumbo-sized frames.  This can be problematic
for some protocols that use SNAP encapsulation since the ethernet
type field is used as a length; this normally isn't a problem since
the lengths were smaller then the range of ethernet types assigned.  With
jumbo frames, this is no longer true.

In our case, this came up in the context of encapsulating CLNS frames
on the wire.  This is used commonly on ISP backbones that run Integrated
IS-IS routing protocol as their IGP.

louie
(aka louie@UU.NET)