Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:52:55 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        atk2@arctic.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade problem in freebsd 4.10

atk2@arctic.org wrote:

>Ok thanks for the detail response.  I guess my confusion came from several
>places - the handbook explicity gives an example where you can refuse
>ports that aren't relevant to your environment (i refuse several such as
>japanese, chinese)...

Hmm.  I wonder if we should consider mentioning that you don't want
to do this if you intend to make index ... I'll mention it on doc@ and see
what comes up.

>Can you explain (if you know off hand) why make fetchindex would fix the
>problem (it did without adding the ports)?

Yes.  "make fetchindex" downloaded a copy of the complete index database
from one of the ftp servers, thus bypassing the problem of "make"ing it on
your box.

>As a side but unrelated question it seems that recent updates to the port
>colleciton (such as mozilla, mplayer and netscape) have bad values (either
>size of time stamps) for the objects they are to fetch - do you know why
>this is happening (aka is it specific to me?)
>
>thanks,
>Alan

Hmm.  Is that "local modification time does not match remote"?

If you have downloads from fetch that have been interrupted (as
I do sometimes at home where I have a slow and occasionally unreliable
ppp link), you can fix that one by deleting the aborted files from
/usr/ports/distfiles
and running "make install" or "make install clean" (or whatever) again.

HTH,

KDK