Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2012 19:11:42 -0500
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Subject:   Re: problem after installkernel going from 9.0 to CURRENT

On 12/30/2012 6:24 PM, Polytropon wrote:

>> 	Used csup (tag=.) to update the source tree as of midnight last night.
>
> This seems to be discouraged today. Instead svn should be used.

	I'm using this for ports, will convert for source ... probably in the
next round after I deal with this.

>> 	5) On rebooting, the loader(??) claims to not be able to find a
>> bootable partition - i.e. I get a screen that ends in "mountpoint  > ".
>
> Are you sure this isn't the "mountroot>" prompt?

	Right you are; sorry, typing from memory on a different system.

> It indicates
> that the / partition cannot be mounted to continue booting.
> Maybe you can interrupt at the boot loader and examine the
> mount source for /, or manually set it to be ada0p1?

	I'll try that.

>> Providing the presumptive value by hand returns "error 19".
>
> No root partition, probably. :-)

	Duh.  :-)

> That's why _I_ prefer old-fashioned MBR partitioning with
> sysinstall which has never failed me. :-)

	There's something to be said for that.  On the other hand, GPT is the
rising tide and one has to learn to swim sometimes.

				Robert Huff