Date:      Wed, 07 May 1997 22:06:52 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with merging in local changes with CVS etc...

> Like I said, it could me mostly accomodated by a non-CVSup
> overwritten tag that the FreeBSD committers could stick in the
> tree for local use.

As has been mentioned several times here and/or in -hackers,
FreeBSD's "cvs" command has a hack to support exactly that.  If
you set the environment variable CVS_LOCAL_BRANCH_NUM to, say,
1000, then all your locally-created branch tags will be numbered
starting at 1000, well separate from the ones CVSup is going to be
bringing in from the master site.

Committers, don't even _consider_ setting this environment variable
on freefall, or you will bring down the wrath of many upon yourself.

And think long and hard before you do this in your local repository,
because such local mods are _not_ supported well by CVSup at this
time.  It sort of works, if you remove the "delete" keyword, but
there are many problems with the approach.  It is for that reason
that none of the CVSup documentation explains how to manage local
mods to your repository.  Until the full support is there in a form
that I'm happy with, you are strictly on your own if you try to
use CVSup to maintain local mods.  If you don't have the "delete"
keyword in your supfile, I don't want to hear any bellyaching from
you.