Date:      Sun, 09 Jan 2011 14:17:00 -0600
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [ANNOUNCE] Playstation 3 support now in HEAD

On 01/09/11 13:10, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 15:22:06 -0600
> Nathan Whitehorn<nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>  wrote:
>
>> Yesterday, I imported support for the Sony Playstation 3 into our 64-bit
>> PowerPC port, expanding our game console support into the current
>> generation. There are still a few rough edges due to missing hardware
>> support, but the machine boots and runs FreeBSD stably. These rough
>> edges should be smoothed out in time for the 9.0 release. Thanks to
>> Peter Grehan for donating the hardware that made this port possible.
>> -Nathan
>>
>> Supported hardware:
>> - Sony Playstation 3 Fat, firmware version<   3.21
>> - Netbooting only
>> - 480i/480p only
>
> Nice work! Well done!
>
> Hmm, (showing my ignorance of PS3 technical details here) any chance
> that this will work on other versions of the hardware soon?
>
> I'm a hardware junkie, so I might buy a PS3, but I guess that version
> with that low a firmware isn't very easy to get hold of were I live.
> (And no, I don't play much, my ps2 slim is just collecting dust.)

I have no idea, since I'm not especially willing to upgrade the firmware
on my console. In principle, it should work perfectly fine on both fat
and slim consoles with the recent jailbreaks (e.g. using the AsbestOS
loader:
http://marcansoft.com/blog/2010/10/asbestos-running-linux-as-gameos/),
but I haven't heard any reports. If anyone does try it, please let me
know the result.
-Nathan