Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 09:45:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        paleph@pacbell.net
Subject:   Re: Re: bge driver issue

In article <200206231552.g5NFqS002122@pacbell.net>,
 <paleph@pacbell.net> wrote:

> John.
>
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> I changed ETHER_ALIGN to 0 and the driver started to work.

I'm glad to hear it.  Thanks for the report.

> I am not sure about the performance since I seem to get
> only 50 Mbit over a 100 Mbit line. However this is much better
> than the timeout warnings...

On the i386, living with the misalignment is probably the best
solution, unfortunately.  The only alternatives I can think of are:

    - bcopy the packet up by 2 bytes after reception to align the
      payload, or

    - disable PCI-X mode on the bus

Both of those would probably be worse.

> Do you need any other experiments done?  We're going
> to ship the 2650 back to Dell for other reasons (form factor
> and noise).

Thanks for the offer.  I don't know of any other experiments I need
done currently.

I agree with you about the noise.  I think I'd rather spend the day
in a room with a swarm of hornets than with the Dell 2650.  When I
was working with that machine I wore a pair of industrial-strength
ear-protecting headphones, and my ears were still buzzing at the end
of the day.

John
--
  John Polstra