Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 02:38:06 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   help with exabyte 8505 tape drive...

I'm trying to back up to this EXABYTE EXB-85058SQANXR1 07T0 tape drive
that was given to me...  It's attached to a ahc2842, and using -current
on the machine...  I have a generic 8mm 112m tape that I'm backing up
to, and after a while (it may be any where from 205megs into the backup
to 130megs...  and I get this error:
st1: Deferred Error: MEDIUM ERROR info:0x2798 csi:0,0,0,2 asc:50,1 Write append
position error
st1: MEDIUM ERROR csi:0,0,0,2 asc:50,1 Write append position error
or:
st1: Deferred Error: MEDIUM ERROR info:0x3c00 csi:0,0,0,4 asc:50,1 Write append
position error
st1: MEDIUM ERROR csi:0,0,0,4 asc:50,1 Write append position error

then any future writes to the tape will repeate the last line...  I can
pull it out of it's state if I send a couple rewind commands to it...

could it be that I'm using to low quality tapes with the drive?

I must say, I'm looking forward to getting my system backed up completely
on a single tape (and having my own tape drive), rather than having to
put it own two 4mm tapes with a drive I have to borrow.. :)

there is a problem with the drive when it sucks the tape in, but I've
found the broken gear (need to call Exabyte and see if they will sell
me a replacement one) and found a way to get the tape in all the way..
so it's not a new drive.. :)

thanks for the help...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD