Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 05:48:16 -0400
From:      "J. Douglas Dunlop" <dunlop@eol.ists.ca>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD needs one of these

At 9:07 am -0400 7/24/97, John Fieber wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, J. Douglas Dunlop wrote:
>
>> What tools did you use to process the sgml, please include version numbers?
>> URLs for helpful on-line info would be much appreciated.
>
>Jade.  It is in the ports collection under textproc.  I'll see
>about getting the style sheets available soon.  There are still
>some rough edges, but things are to the point that they might be
>generally useful.  Look for it by the weekend.

Ok, I downloaded and built jade 0.9. I had tried to build 0.8 before and it
failed. This time I got it to work. It taxed the limit of my personal
accounts virtual memory but built fine as root. I was able to process the
sample file demo.sgm into html, rtf, fot and tex formats.

Next, bouyed by my minor success, I downloaded a style sheet 'db070.dsl'
created for docbook and attempted to process my own docbook document. My
document has some problems, according to jade, but I was able to output
rtf, tex and fot. The rtf looked not bad when viewed with MS Word. However,
when I attempted to output html I got nothing, no html file even. I do get
a .css file though. Any ideas why?

>For print output, the best support is for RTF which isn't too
>useful in a non-microsoft world.  TeX support is improving.  I
>have not tried the latest and greatest set of JadeTeX macros, but
>the last version certainly wasn't ready for prime-time.  There
>currently isn't any way to get good plain text output short of
>using Lynx to dump formatted versions of the HTML files.
>
>> I peeked at the SGML and noticed that you used docbook v2.4.1. Can this
>> type of output be done using docbook v3.0?

Finally, I attempted to process your 'techovr.sgml' file using the same
'db070.dsl'. This just generated many 'undefined' errors which I believe
are due to jade not finding my 2.4.1 dtd. I messed with my catalog a bit
but didn't get anywhere. I didn't really want to process 2.4.1 anyway...

>Yup.  The differences in DTDs are small.
>
>-john

Can you possibly provide a few more hints as to the proper use of jade with
specifics on the coupling between .dsl files and .dtd files. I really need
a concrete example to be able to convince myself I'm going about this
correctly. What would be really nice is tar ball with a .sgml file  and
.dsl file that works together an produce split html as well as rtf and tex.
Is that what you had in mind for this weekend?

BTW, are the options of jade documented anywhere. The documentation on the
jade home page and that come with jade are incomplete. What is -a link_type?

Regards,
Doug

    ____/  _   /  /  J. Douglas Dunlop                  <dunlop@eol.ists.ca>
   /      /   /  /                                    Earth Observations Lab
   _/    /   /  /                Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science
 /      /   /  /                                    4850 Keele St.,2nd Floor
____/ _____/ _____/  W:416-665-5411                      North York, Ontario
                     H:519-747-1710                          CANADA, M3J-3K1
                     F:416-665-2032
                          http://www.eol.ists.ca/