Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 07:50:58 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Exabyte Enspire NS8? Was: Q: Opinions on which Tape Drive to Buy?

> >After looking at the Exabyte site, their Enspire NS8 (or Eagle NS8
> >part-no. NS8-DSU-000) looks attractive.  It's a TR-4 Travan (QIC 3095)
> >drive with 3 year limited warranty.  What experience have you had with
> >this Tape drive in FreeBSD-stable?
>
> Avoid travan drives.  Expensive tapes.  Cheap, slower, less durable
> drives (versus DAT).

I have the Tecmar NS8i (internal) drive, which I believe is basically the
same as the Exabyte. I agree about the expensive tapes, but aside from
that it seems to be working just fine so far. Actual speed is from 570
kByte/s up to around 1.1 MByte/s, depending on how well your data will
compress (the Tecmar unit has builtin compression).

> Of course, it's your choice...

Of course. I tend to be skeptical about the "less durable" claim, since
the Travan drives are so much simpler mechanically.