Date:      Wed, 04 Jun 1997 19:24:32 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Fred Gilham <gilham@csl.sri.com>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Super Micro P6DOF (was Re: Supermicro SMP boards?)

Hi,

> I'm trying to use SMP with a Super Micro P6DOF board.  I find that it
> dies at random intervals with the SMP kernel, while running OK with
> the UP kernel.  The SMP crashes tend to happen while running X,
> especially with some xlock screen hack.
>
> One thing I've noticed is that after a while even the UP kernel will
> seem to `lose' timing information, i.e. on my performance meter I'll
> stop seeing CPU activity at all and in top all the CPU percentages
> will be 0.  I assumed this had something to do with the SMP_TIMER_NC
> option but when I run the SMP kernel with that option I get a panic
> with the message, ``8254 Redirect Impossible''.
>   OEM ID:			'AMI     '
>   Product ID:			'P6ISA       '
> I/O Ints:	Type	Polarity    Trigger	Bus ID	 IRQ	APIC ID	INT#
> 		INT	 conforms    conforms	     1	   1	     14	   1
> 		INT	 conforms    conforms	     1	   0	     14	   2
> 		INT	 conforms    conforms	     1	  15	     14	  15
> --
> Local Ints:	Type	Polarity    Trigger	Bus ID	 IRQ	APIC ID	INT#
> 		NMI	 conforms    conforms	     0	 0:A	    255	   1

there is no "ExtInt" in the table so 'SMP_TIMER_NC' is indeed impossible.
You evidently have an AMI BIOS on this board, which is doing things
differently
than previous Supermicro mptables I've seen.
Unless this box has NO PCI cards in it, this is a "pre appendix D.3"
BIOS.

does the BIOS have an MP spec version 1.4 setting?

are there any PCI cards in this box?

--
Steve Passe	| powered by