Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 11:58:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: still having buildworld trouble for libmd

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> cc -I/usr/src/lib/libmd -DSHA1_ASM -DELF -DRMD160_ASM -DELF
> -I/usr/obj/aout/usr/src/tmp/usr/include  -c /usr/src/lib/libmd/i386/sha.S
> -o sha.o
> sha1-586.s: Assembler messages:
> sha1-586.s:56: Error: Alignment too large: 15. assumed.
> *** Error code 1
>
> I have an elf i386. The build  seems broken. What's up?

I guessed from commit logs that maybe Garrett had something to do with
it, and talking with him last night, I disabled the build of two
assembler files via the libmd Makefile:

.if (${OBJFORMAT} == "elf")     <--  NEW
.if exists(${MACHINE_ARCH}/sha.S)
SRCS+=  sha.S
CFLAGS+= -DSHA1_ASM -DELF
.endif
.if exists(${MACHINE_ARCH}/rmd160.S)
SRCS+=  rmd160.S
CFLAGS+= -DRMD160_ASM -DELF
.endif
.endif                <--  NEW

When this fixed things, I asked Garrett about it, because I know nothing
at all about libmd or what uses libmd, but he didn't get back to me.
That does fix all the rest of the buildworld.

Does anyone know if this fix, only active really in the legacy build,
would have negative effects?  I want to do the installworld, but I'm
nervous about this (I don't like doing things by accident!)

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).