Date:      Sun, 02 Jan 2000 21:14:38 -0600
From:      Scott Bolte <bolte@gsao.gso.med.ge.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "panic: page fault" when loading FreeBSD 3.3 on an Athlon system

	I have a brand new Athlon system that panics with a page fault
	whenever I try to load FreeBSD 3.3 on it. I am looking for ways
	to narrow down the problem to a specific piece of hardware, or
	ways to obtain more detailed diagnostics.

	The simple test case is to boot the second CD from Walnut Creek
	-- the live file system -- and use sysconfig. I select the
	fixit mode to get a shell prompt. Once I run (find /) I see a
	"panic:  page fault" after just a few seconds. Aside from the
	obligatory "Syncing disks," no more information is given. This
	happens with both FreeBSD 3.3 and 2.2.8.

	Btw, the complex test case involves trying to install FreeBSD
	3.3; something which fails every time when loading the /bin
	distribution.

	I see this when booting from either a SCSI CD or an IDE CD.  It
	does not matter if there are any hard disks attached.  With
	either a PCI or AGP video card it happens.  There are no other
	cards in the system.

	The constants are the Athlon 550 CPU, the sole PC100 128MB
	SDRAM DIMM (with or without ECC enabled), the ASUS K7M
	motherboard, and the Antec 300W power supply.  Swapping the 4
	core components mentioned above will be very difficult.

	Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might be wrong, or how
	I can obtain more information?

		Thanks,

		   Scott