Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 1995 21:43:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        bind-users@vix.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A Good OS for BIND? (fwd)

> > > With the SunOS 4.1.X limitations (file descriptors and VM system)
> > > would one of the BSD 4.4 OS's (NetBSD, FreeBSD, BSD/OS) be a better
> > > choice for running BIND?  What other OS's would be a good choice?
>
> The 4.4BSD's are certainly suitable platforms to run it.  Even old and
> slow machines like a 5Vax 2000 or an i386/16 are known to run all
> versions of BIND fine.

The newer versions of bind have static initialization avoidance.

In English: they won't work with some old code that isn't updated
at the same time you update bind because of some initialization order
assumptions the old code makes.

So if you get the new bind, you need the new sendmail, etc. as well.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.