Date:      21 Mar 2000 23:38:38 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 21st Century Unix - web serving

Daniel C. Sobral <dcs@newsguy.com> wrote:

> more important, in my opinion, is FreeBSD ability to handle *LOAD*. You
> know, when you just have been slashdotted and get a sudden peak of
> access way above the normal? Well, FreeBSD handles it. It doesn't do any
> H0H0 magic or anything, it crawls as you would expect it to, but it
> _continues to work_. That's not the case with Linux. With Linux, you get
> into a trashing situation, where useful work simply ceases until the
> peak is gone.

I wish somebody would put some substance to such anecdotal stories.
I'm currently quite close to a Linux box which gets slashdot-like
effects (basically caused by minor access spikes and a badly written
backend that causes the load to explode), and so far it seems to
hold up quite well.

Maybe Thomas Graichen's "Performance Comparison" talk at LT2K will
offer some factual observations for a change.

And FreeBSD certainly doesn't work magic. A few months ago, I did
a simple test. Ten processes, each one allocated some memory and
ran in a loop doing nothing but continuously writing a byte to each
page of its chunk of memory. I chose the process count and memory
allocation to cover 1.5x the size of the real memory of the box.
When I started the test, the hard disk light lit up solidly and
for all pratical purposes the box ground to a halt. No more movement
under X11. No more switching back to a text console. No more network
login. I watched for some time with amusement and finally pressed
the reset button.

(Should we take this to -chat?)
--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de