Date:      Sun, 05 Jan 1997 19:11:38 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell), current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel w/o source? [MOD_DECL in lkm.h]

> [various really good points deleted]

> That said, I'm sure that some people wouldn't mind having an 'object-mostly'
> kernel distribution in addition to the full source distribution. That way
> people who want to make quick driver changes and don't want to recompile
> the whole kernel can just load the object-mostly kernel tree and do a quick

I don't see this happening as a sole objective, but I do see it
possibly happening as a side-effect of some more general, long-awaited
effort to bring FreeBSD's config(8) into the 90's. :-)

Unfortunately, every time we've also looked around for someone who'd
be really interested in the idea of championing config, the room has
quickly emptied. :-)

						Jordan