Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 08:59:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@scms.utmb.EDU>
To:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DEC Alpha 2100a

Trevor Johnson writes:
 > > My lynx installed and ran a 4.4RC fine, but failed miserably with
 > > a -current snapshot
 >
 > Which snapshot did you try?  If you gave some description of whatever
 > problem you had, there's a chance someone might fix it, or know how to
 > avoid it.

Snapshot was from July/August time frame, IIRC.  I described the
problem in detail on the list.  The boot transcript is available
on my web site, and an abbreviated version in the posting
describing the problem.  See the archives.

 > > and  an  attempt to  upgrade to  -current via
 > > make {build,install}world.  The {build,install}world effort  used
 > > a kernel without SMP enabled.  Since the lynx was worthless to me
 > > with only a single CPU, mine is headed for the surplus warehouse,
 > > too.
 >
 > The SMP code was only added in April of this year.

This all transpired in the August, early Sept. time frame.  And
that is why I wanted to run -current.  -stable does me no good
because of lack of SMP.  Note that I never got to try SMP because
I could never get a -current to boot.

I've already invested too much time in this.  The machine is
headed for the surplus warehouse.

Bud Dodson

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790