Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2002 22:00:43 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        libh@freebsd.org
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Subject:   SYSTEM package contradictions

--eMnpOGXCMazMAbfp

The SYSTEM package documentation is contradictory to its
implementation. The doc in sysinstall pretends that the

"SYSTEM package provides the following features:
      OSNAME (FreeBSD for us)
      OSVERSION: `uname -s` version `uname -r`
      PLATFORM (i386, alpha, sparc64, IA64, ...)
      CPU (386, 486, Pentium, Athlon, ...; MMX, 3DNow, SSE, ...)
      libh version (comparable to /var/db/port.mkversion)
"

The current implementation gives me:

 Features:
        i386             3.0       386       0
     FreeBSD      4.5-STABLE         0       0

on my machine. A few questions:

1- shouldn't the feature names be (eg) "OSNAME" instead of "FreeBSD"?
In the case of the "CPU" feature, the feature names could become
arbitrarly esoteric and obstruct the feature namespace.=20

I suggest using (eg, again) "OSNAME" instead.=20

2- there are features missing: the OSVERSION, CPU and libh version.

I could probably implement dummy feature entries in the DB along with
#warnings.

[cf. Database.cc:733
     features->push_back( new Feature( architecture_feature, architecture_f=
eature_version, architecture_feature_serial, 0 ) );
     features->push_back( new Feature( buf.sysname, buf.release, 0, 0 ) );
]

3- I don't understand what use is OSVERSION. From the doc, my
OSVERSION string would be something like:
FreeBSD lenny.anarcat.ath.cx 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #6: Sun May 26 1=
8:16:45 EDT 2002     anarcat@lenny.anarcat.ath.cx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LENN=
Y  i386 version 4.5-STABLE

I don't think it's necessary.

4- what is the format of the "standard revision" feature element? x.y?
x.y,z? And in any case, how should be interpreted the version of the
FreeBSD (or OSNAME) feature?

5- libh version? That's 0.2.2 right now? Should this be harmonized
with the zip archive attributes?

The way I see it, the SYSTEM package should provide the features:

Name		Version		Serial		Snapshot
OSVERSION	4.5		[1]		[1]
OSNAME		FreeBSD		0		0
PLATFORM	i386		0		0
CPU		i586		0		0
LIBH_VERS	0.2.2		0		200206022150 [2]

[1]  there's been discussions on how to handle versionning of the
FreeBSD source tree, but this is a tricky situation. I guess that with
tree-based releases, only the snapshot date could be used. I'm not
sure how to use those 2 columns.
[2]  this is not really formatted this way, but gives an idea

I'm not sure this is appropriate since "Version" maybe shouldn't
support arbitrary strings...

A.

--=20
Imagination is more important than knowledge
                        - Albert Einstein

--eMnpOGXCMazMAbfp

--eMnpOGXCMazMAbfp--