Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 20:35:55 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AlphaBIOS documentation

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Doug Rabson wrote:
>
> > Which parts of the PALcode in the Linux source are incompatible?
>
> I don't know the exact details, but I have been assured by someone
> who should know that DU never ran on the development kit PALcode,
> and one of our developers has tested NetBSD on the DK PALcode and
> confirmed that it does not work.
>
> > I don't  think I will have any real problem using this code for FreeBSD.
>
> Well, good luck! I'll be interested to what you need to do, if
> anything, to clean it up.

Well at least one problem I noticed during a code review of the eb164
palcode in milo is that the interrupt support is pretty thin.  It always
supplies a vector number of 800 to the OS, whatever the real interrupt
source and it doesn't support the undocumented cserve functions 0x34 and
0x35 which NetBSD and DU use to enable and disable interrupts.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039