Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:34:32 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Please test bt848/878 teletext decoding

Hi,
I've uploaded some initial teletext decoding software for the
FreeBSD bt848/878 driver.
This is for 3.1 and 4.x users.

Have a look in ftp://telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk/pub/bt848/teletext

There is a replacement bt848 driver (brktree_reg.h and brooktree848.c)
use these to replace the existing files in /sys/pci

There is also a Java Teletext viewer.
Now I got this to run on Win95, but my Netscape 4.04 browser failed to
run
run the Java. I'm trying a newer Java run-time right now.

Untar the Java teletext viewer.
In it you will also find vbidecode-1.0

Apply the patch to it (as specified int he README) and make vbidecode.
This reads raw data from /dev/vbi and generates .vtx files.
1 file per teletext page.

The java viewer then reads the VTX files.

NOTES:
when you run vbidecode, you must have subdirectories created for
vbidecode to save
the pages into
run   vbidecode -v
to see the titles of your teletext stations.
in the UK I have to do this
mkdir ceefax
mkdir 4-text
mkdir vh-1
./vbidecode

and it saves BBC ceefax pages into ./ceefax and vh-1 pages into ./vh1

To tune into the TV station, use the standard fxtv, but RESIZE the
window so it
contains an interlaced screen (ie the height > 300 pixels)

good luck.

please try it.

bye
roger

p.s. I'm on vacation from saturday 17th until thursday 22nd, so there
will be
no help from me until then.

--
Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde Uni Telepresence Research Group, Glasgow, Scotland.